Exempt full-time position, Reports to Executive Director*
The Business Manager will manage a dynamic business operation, overseeing budget management, financial planning, accounting, purchasing, inventory, payroll, and personnel administration. Working across Educopia’s affiliated communities and research projects, the Business Manager will provide leadership and administrative direction for the development of processes, procedures, and systems that contribute to successful business operations. This will include: overseeing/administering human resources, regular monitoring and assessment of the quality and quantity of Educopia’s business functions and service delivery efforts, the establishment of short-term and long-term goals and objectives, and the formulation and ongoing assessment of business policies and practices.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who enjoys independence and variety in their work, and they will share our passionate belief in the importance of collaboration and community building across institutions and sectors.
- Establishing and monitoring business processes, procedures, and activities
- Maintaining successful working relationships with members, clients, administrators, funders, and other stakeholders affected by Educopia’s business operations
- Ensuring fiscal compliance with state and federal laws and regulations and with funder expectations
- Establishing short-term and long-term operations goals and objectives and using these to demonstrate broad impact
- Developing and monitoring budgets and projections; creating and circulating regular reports that connect fiscal and strategic business goals
- Researching, analyzing, and addressing challenges and best practices in management
- Identifying and applying appropriate policies and procedures for recruiting, selecting, developing, counseling, disciplining, and evaluating the performance of employees to retain a diverse workforce
- Supervising a variety of professional and technical staff
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, or related business area and three years of professional accounting experience, of which at least one is supervisory; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Considerable knowledge of professional fiscal theory, techniques, practices, and procedures. Considerable knowledge of the fiscal area of assignment and skills in applying this knowledge in a review. General knowledge of state and federal rules and regulations governing the fiscal program. General knowledge of agency/university/foundation practices, procedures, and principles.
Compensation and Application
Salary range is $58K-$68K/year, commensurate with experience, with additional funding for professional development and travel. Benefits include 24 vacation days per year (accruing monthly) and 10 paid holidays, as well as insurance options and retirement match options.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Caitlin Perry (Caitlin (at) educopia (dot) org).
We will begin reviewing applications on October 3rd, and we will continue to welcome applications until the position is filled.
Educopia Institute is a distributed team, and applicants must be able to work remotely. Success in working in a geographically distributed, collaborative, and research-intensive environment requires a demonstrated ability to accomplish timely, high-quality work, handle a variety of duties, adapt to changing priorities, work successfully in a team, and communicate effectively with all segments of an extended community.
The Educopia Institute’s mission is to empower collaborative communities to create, share, and preserve knowledge. Educopia is committed to the constant and sustaining presence of maintenance and care—for both people and things—in the work we do. For more information about our organization, please visit http://www.educopia.org.
Educopia Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
*This is an exempt position. Employees in this position are paid a salary on a monthly basis and are not eligible to receive overtime pay.