Developing a Pilot Data Trust for Open Access Ebook Usage
Exploring Open Access eBook Usage (OAeBU)
This two-year project acts upon the recommendations that resulted from five years of planning, as documented within the “Exploring Open Access Ebook Usage” white paper published by the Book Industry Study Group in 2019. Through December 2021, this pilot project will develop and test infrastructure, policy and governance models to support a diverse, global data trust for usage data on open access (OA) monographs. As an international cooperative managed by the community of stakeholders in scholarly communications and operating a secure data repository and member dashboards, this data trust will be designed to align with the priorities of authors and institutions while respecting emerging ethical norms in the use of metrics. More information about the project is available within the grant narrative and Data Management Plan.
Help Build It | Call for Community Engagement
Join the project’s discussion forums and working groups listed below to share your perspective and provide input directly to the project team and its advisors.
Stakeholder Discussion Forums
Open, public user communities for peers to discuss and inform issues relating to the project.
- OAeBU Data Trust Author/Scholars Group
- OAeBU Data Trust University Presses Group
- OAeBU Data Trust Library Publishers Group
- OAeBU Data Trust Libraries Group
- OAeBU Data Trust Societies/Associations Group
- OAeBU Data Trust Commercial Publishers Group
- OAeBU Data Trust Publishing Platforms/Services Group
Open, public groups for those interested in working through issues pertaining to the project.
- OAeBU Data Trust Policy Working Group
Purpose: discuss and develop privacy, security, and ethics principles and policy guidelines
- OAeBU Data Trust Technical Norms/Standards Working Group
Purpose: suggest and discuss technical norms and standards for the data trust
Under Public Review
- OA Books Supply Chain Mapping Report DRAFT
- University Presses OA eBook Usage Data Use Case Overview DRAFT
- University Presses OA eBook Usage Data Use Cases Document DRAFT
- Book Publishing Platforms/Services OA eBook Usage Data Use Case Overview DRAFT
- Book Publishing Platforms/Services OA eBook Usage Data Use Cases Document DRAFT
- Our October – December 2020 quarterly update, shared on our announce list.
- Subscribe to our announcement list or follow @OAeBU_Project on Twitter to receive updates.
As a partner on this project, Educopia is facilitating the development of a governance structure and legal architecture for the data trust, and employing the Data Trust Program Officer.