Next Generation Library Publishing
Improving the publishing pathways and choices available to authors, editors, and readers
In this project, Educopia, California Digital Library (CDL), and Strategies for Open Science (Stratos), in close partnership with LYRASIS, Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR), and Longleaf Services are working to advance and integrate open source publishing infrastructure to provide robust support for library publishing. Our project goals include:
- Creating a more balanced, effective academic publishing ecosystem that aligns with academic values and increases choice, opportunity, and innovation via compelling library publishing solutions;
- Developing tools and standards that allow better integration of campus repository systems and publishing workflows across the lifecycle of scholarly research;
- Establishing sustainable, community-governed, open solutions that rival best-of-breed commercial tools and advance scholarly communication in important ways.
The project team will produce a wide range of open deliverables, including configurable toolsets and pathways, APIs, standards, guidelines, and workflow documentation, all designed to increase and improve the publishing solutions available to library publishers and position them to meet the growing needs of the field. These efforts include the following (all dates are approximate, but intended!):
- Technology, Services, and Sustainability Landscape Analysis of Open Scholarly Publishing Tools (Feb 2020)
- Initial architectural model for integration of open-source publishing and repository tools, and identification of technological gaps and requirements for standards and protocols (May 2020)
- Principles-Based Guidelines and Assessment Tools for Library Publishing (Public Review June 2020; publication Sept 2020)
- Publishing Workflow Functional Requirements (Public Review June 2020; publication Sept 2020)
- Toolsets, pathways, and documentation, uniting common open source tools according to the Functional Requirements (Feb 2022)
- Evaluation and Auditing Framework (based on the Principles-Based Guidelines) (Feb 2022)
- Hosted library publishing services based on the tools and workflows (LYRASIS, Longleaf Services, and California Digital Library as hosts) (Feb 2022)
For more information about this project, please see our initial press release and/or contact email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.